and anyone else checking in. A special "Hey" goes out to Hazel Mae.
For those of you who haven't been here before, Monday night entries take a look back at the week or so that was in the world of sports, highlighting some of the more notable performances. To those who have risen above the rest, we award them with an honourary "Hazie" - the lucky few have the title of "Hazel's Hero" bestowed upon them. On the flip side, there are the special few who make news for the wrong reasons - they get tagged with the "not so heroic" label. While Hazel hasn't officially approved this week's winners and "runners up", we'd like to think she would give her trademark smile and thumbs up.HAZEL'S HEROES
Futures MLBers - Columbus Georgia won the Little League World Series
today with a 2-1 victory over a team from Kawaguchi City, Japan. Kody Walker hit a HR and Kyle Walker was dominant on the mound today.
You know Hazel would be giving these kids some recognition for their achievement.
Chicago White Sox OF Jermaine Dye
was awarded with the American League Player of the Week honours. Dye hit close to .392 for the week and added 5 HRs and 10 RBI. You know what they say...Chicks dig the long ball.
Florida Marlins 3B Miguel Cabrera
was a co-winner of the National League Player of the Week. Cabrera hit .409 with 3 HRs - including his 100th career long ball - can you hear Hazel saying "Buh Bye".
San Francisco Giants P Noah Lowry
was the other winner. Lowry was 2-0 with an ERA of .053 with 9 Ks.
Special mention goes out to a couple of other players that weren't recognized by MLB but are great stories nonetheless.
Houston Astros OF Willy Taveras
is currently in the midst of a 30 game hitting streak. While chicks may not dig "fast guys" - they do on the ball field.
What would a Monday entry be without David Ortiz
- with the wheels falling off the Red Sox bus - he continues to excel. Ortiz who was hospitalized last week with and irregular heart beat keeps hitting HRs and fighting to try to get his team back on track. What makes Ortiz's week all the more amazing is that he hasn't had Manny Ramirez hitting behind him. The Sox are terrible right now - but Ortiz is the man.GOLF
We normally don't do golf - even though we know Hazel loves golf. But you have to give it up for Japan's Yusaku Miyazato
; who lived out every golfer's dream (over and above playing a round of golf with Hazel) not once but twice in the SAME ROUND. Miyazato had two hole in ones last week. He may not have won the tournament...but he made history.NFL
Yes, I know its only pre-season, but...Drew Bledsoe and Terry Glenn
are taking Cowboys fans' minds off of the Terrell Owens saga. Bledsoe has been red-hot in his last two starts and Glenn has been making highlight reel catches so far - who says players don't care about pre-season?Carson Palmer
picked up where he left off last year in his comeback game against Green Bay. Palmer went 9-14 with 3 TDs.NOT SO HEROIC
It starts and finishes with Terrell Owens
. Terrell has been up to his old self so far this year - I thought Parcells would be able to handle Owens and get this team into the Super Bowl; Owens isn't going to make it easy on any of us this year.
For those of you keeping track - the Hazelspeeps Fantasy Baseball Pool has a trophy (Hazie). Yes, El Presidente came through for the group - NO I didn't get the Coors Light "Win a date with Hazel Mae" display - but we have something else. Speaking of which, who in the hell was the lucky winner?
Changes in the standings over this past week with Hazel Mae's Hackers charging up into second place. Big mover of the week was George's GB Steam Boys - adding seven points and jumping up a couple of spots in the standings. Standings for the week ending August 27th.84.0 - The Bronx Zoo
- owned by Sparky. Who has come up with the brilliant idea of tagging his name as the inaugural winner of the Hazelspeeps trophy - easy when you are coasting to victory.69.0 - Hazel Mae's Hackers
- owned by El Presidente (me) who may or may not be back in Renee's doghouse. Feeling a little funny not being directly on top of Renee this week.67.0 - Shuggysux
- owned by Pogue (the other Pogue) who is still hanging on 2 moves this year - and still the leading candidate for league MVP....MAYBE60.5 - Naughty Girls
- owned by Renee who is making a case for taking over Theo Epstein's job next year - she's bringing in Oswalt and Clemens if she gets Theo's job.57.0 - GB Steam Boys
- owned by George who made the biggest jump of the week - George checks in with the group and his team gains 7 points - Hazel Karma?
54.0 - Tom Sawyer
- owned by Hubie who is on track to set an all-time record for moves in a fantasy baseball pool...he's going for 200+ moves in one season.
51.5 - Tina's Team
- owned by Tina who has been pretty quiet - I mean, REALLY quiet...Tina phone home - or check in, the peeps are worried!44.5 - Fighting Bobcats
- owned by Commish Drisc who may wind up being the Treasurer for Hazelspeeps - if we get a bank account.36.5 - Banana Peels
- owned by the Golden Banana who has been quiet after not finding any takers for his offer to swap entire rosters.26.0 - Leprachauns
- owned by Irish who changed his team name to Rebel Without A Clue, I'll let you make the joke on this one.
That just about wraps it up for this week gang...have a great one peeps!
Hazel, I hope things are groovy in your world (I got an email from someone today - telling me that I didn't say that this morning. I was in a rush, but its understood right?)
Song of the Night on Hazelspeeps - for Terrell Owens "oversleeping"Angels Losing Sleep - Our Lady Peace
Peesth Out...Buh Bye!