Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Addendum to Monday's Heroes and "Not So Heroic"

Hey peeps and anyone else checking in. Tuesday morning brought news of people who deserved mention in the Monday Heroes and "Not So Heroic" entry.

HEROES
If you have read this page before, you will know that Curt Schilling has been the topic of a number of entries here...usually related to how "outspoken" he can be/is. Well, in the spirit of giving credit where credit is due - Curt Schilling and his wife are helping a family from New Orleans whose lives were changed forever by Hurricane Katrina.
Curt and Shonda Schilling have stepped up big time, flying the family of nine to Boston and providing them with housing for a full year. I'm the first guy to get on Schilling's case most days...but he and his family stepped up huge. While it would be easy to say "Hey...he's a millionaire, he can afford it." The fact remains that there are a lot of millionaire athletes and celebrities who haven't, and most likely won't step up to that extent. A new found respect for Schilling...though I'd still like to stuff a Dunkin' doughnut or something in his mouth when he starts talking. I'm sure Schilling and his family will get some attention from Hazel in her broadcast...nice.

ZEROS
Pavel Datsyuk of the Detroit Red Wings has signed to a contract to play in Russia with a team owned by Roman Abramovic (Owner of the Chelsea Football Club of the English Premiership) Avangard Omsk. Datsyuk was said to have wanted Joe Thornton kind of cash...Detroit GM Ken Holland was offering up to $4M per year. Datsyuk has got to be joking - there is no way he deserves Joe Thornton kind of money...call it a negotiating ploy (he has an escape clause) or whatever...I hope Holland lets Datsyuk play in Russia this year. Bad move Pavel...

NEITHER A HERO OR ZERO
But I saw a funny sight on my commute in this morning. This morning was sunny and cool - about 10 C (50 F)... I see a dude all decked out in his inline skating gear - the helmet, knee pads, wrist protectors and elbow pads...this guy was a sight. So he pulls up to a red light and right there, reaches into his pocket and pulls out a smoke. You may not agree...but I thought it was hysterical - here is this guys protected to the hilt, doing some pretty heavy duty physical activity...and he's smoking. Reminds me of my younger years when I played ball and used to smoke in the dugout between innings - or run outside for a smoke between periods in hockey.

To follow that up...I saw an old woman in a walker...she pulls out a smoke too.


Ok...I've gotta book here. Have a groovy day one and all...especially Hazel if she's peeking in this a.m.

As I type this, I'm listening to K-Os..."Crucial". A great song that will definitely be a Song of the Day on Hazelspeeps...count on it.

Peesth out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter