Wednesday, July 06, 2005

A Not So Weird Week To Recap

Evenin' peeps, Hazel (if you are sneaking a peek) and anyone else checking in who isn't one of the aforementioned.

I'm A Good Catholic Boy
Bless me Father for I've been a fat-ass. It has been 2 weeks since my last run. I turned my back on the tranquility, peace, and simple pleasure that running brought me - turning instead to shovels, wheelbarrels, crushed stone, bricks, and a gas powered stone packer with a vibrating plate that any women would love to for a day...or a weekend even! Hey...it was a joke, I wasn't being blasphemous - hell, I'm Portuguese Catholic, everyone is just pretending compared to us! Anyone checking in from Boston, Fall River or other places in Mass would agree with me. I wonder if Hazel has hit one of our bakeries down there for a "nata" or two.

I can't be too upset with tonight's run - after all, it has been two weeks. I ran 6 km in about 30 minutes, which if you have read this blog in the past you would know that it is still within acceptable limits for me (1km every 5 minutes). While I wasn't unhappy with tonight's run, it still is about 2 minutes slower than three weeks ago - and I was carrying about 3 - 5 extra pounds then. But I'll make it up over the next couple of weeks...10 km run in August).

MLB
If It Wasn't For Bad Luck
It was a pretty quiet week in terms of the weird in MLB this week - that is, unless you count what is happening to the Los Angeles Dodgers. This week saw LA place Cesar Izturis and J.D Drew (who could be gone for the rest of the season) on the DL...Jeff Kent is hurt too. I never seen a team get hit this bad - GM Paul Depodesta is trying to make some deals...but I don't think he can pull LA out of this one. I feel your pain Paul - I'm going through the same thing with Hazel's Heroes, everyone is breaking down on me (Beckett, Eaton, Prior has been on and off, Pettite left tonight's game)...but we are hanging tough.

What The Foulke Happened?
Keith Foulke was put on the DL today and will have arthroscopic surgery on his knee. What is the significance for a Wednesday night entry? Well, apparently the Sox asked Foulke to have his knee examined after the World Series last year - he declined. Red Sox Nation are not happy with Foulke right now - I can't say that I blame them. Johnny Burger King would have had his knee checked out last year - guess that puts him one step ahead of Foulke. Red Sox Nation - your wish has come true...for better or worse, you will experience life without Foulke. Good luck to you...I wouldn't hold my breath that Epstein will trade for a type flight closer - not without parting with one of your blue chippers that you love so much.

Kennaay...Kennaay....Kennaay
Kenny Rogers put on a very humble face and apologized for his actions last week - all this while he is appealing his suspension...and likely picking up his $50,000 bonus for an all-star appearance.

NHL
I won't get into "the deal" - there are more open letters to be written in this space.

Sean Avery of the Kings loses his mind and goes off on Bob Goodenow. Avery crapped all over Bob and by extension the union - protraying them as misguided fools who were brainwashed. I wonder how many beatings he is going to take from his peers when the NHL gets back to playing.

Bob Probert is in trouble again, this time he's being charged with assaulting a police officer. Think Bob should suit up and join the Enforcers tour. Probert is perhaps the most troubled NHLer of all time. I say that because for all the problems Derek Sanderson had...I don't remember him being in trouble with the law like Probert has been.

Olympics
London won the right to host the 2012 Olympics - this came as a great shock, since to most "experts", the Paris bid was the front runner. An interesting comment on the radio this morning from a Sports Illustrated columnist - he said that the vote could very well come down to what city the committee would rather see/visit. Go figure.

That's about it for tonight - if you see anything unusual in the world of sports...feel free to post a comment.

The song of the day/night on Hazelspeeps at yahoo - for the 1st run in three weeks (a tough one to say the least) and for the London bid to host the olympics...

Chariots of Fire - Vangelis

You remember...the instrumental with a guy running...I never cared for the song myself, but it applies tonight.

Goodnight peeps...night to you too Ms. Hazel Mae (if you got here...and got this far) and goodnigh to you...yes you...thanks for checking in. I hope it wasn't a complete waste of time for you.

Peesth out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter