Thursday, February 15, 2007

Donkey!

Normally, I would reserve the term "donkey" for the poker table but today I have to apply it to a former pro athlete. Now, say what you will about John Amaechi and his recent "outting" of himself in his new book. He deserves a donkey award for pretending that he wants to be a role model for young people (what a load of shit...just come out and admit that you want to promote your book in any way possible...after all, Amaechi's professional basketball career isn't exactly one that warrents praise). The real donkey is all of this is - Tim Hardaway (he had skillz)...who has been quoted as saying:

''First of all, I wouldn't want him on my team,'' former Miami Heat star Tim Hardaway said Wednesday. ``Second of all, if he was on my team, I'd really distance myself from him. I don't think he should be in the locker room when we are in the locker room. I wouldn't even be a part of that. . . . I'd ask for him to get traded. Something has to give. The majority of the players would ask for him to be traded, or they would want to get traded. Or just buy him out of his contract and let him go.''

and...

''I hate gay people,'' Hardaway said in an interview on 790 The Ticket. ``I let it be known. I don't like gay people. I don't like to be around gay people. I'm homophobic. I don't like it. There shouldn't be a world for that or [a place] in the United States for it. I don't like it.''

WTF!!! Homophobic or not, how does a BLACK man come out and make a blanket statement like this. Replace the word gay with black and you basically have the mentality of a KKK member. For someone who comes from a discrimated group to make this statement simply shows how stupid some individuals can be. Not only is he an embarassement for the NBA, but he is an embarassement to all those who deal with discrimination day to day because of their skin colour.

Suffice to say, what does this also say about the black community itself...a community that continues to deal with negative stereotypes on a day to day basis (think of the criticism laid on hip hop music). Regardless of your opinion on the matter, if it isn't good and you know it isn't a good opinion - keep your trap shut. Hardaway may have had basketball skillz, but clearly his mental skillz remains questionable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter