Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Business? Baseball? Or Both?

Hey Peeps and anyone else checking in. A special "Hey" goes out to Hazel Mae.

Anyone who reads this page has undoubtedly heard or read about the perks attached to the contract Daisuke Matsuzaka signed with the Boston Red Sox - from the matter of fact rundown by the Boston Globe's Gordon Edes to the tongue-in-cheek article by the Boston Herald's Gerry Callahan - we're waiting for Hazel's report on Daisuke's treasures - the list is amazing to say the least;
  • from a personal entourage to do everything but take him to the bathroom; to
  • 10 round trips per year to Japan (I wonder if he gets to keep the frequent flyer miles); to
  • a membership at one of Boston's finest country clubs; to
  • five rounds of golf at some of the most prestigious courses in the U.S.
its enough to make anyone a little envious - wouldn't you think?

Which brings me to my point - how must his teammates be feeling about this? The standard answer is that they are all professionals, and they don't give things like that a second thought - but Curt Schilling's announcement that he would pitch in 2008 and that he expected the Red Sox to sign him to an extension before Opening Day or risk losing him to free agency says a lot more today than it did when he first spoke to Boston sports radio station WEEI. Boston's management team held to the company line that they wouldn't discuss negotiations with a player - the prevailing thought was that they would evaluate Schilling's performance before discussing an extension.

Schilling's bone of contention was that he felt like he didn't have to prove himself this year to get an extension - he has proven enough to warrant an extension. At the time of Schilling's announcement, I agreed with Hazelspeeps Fantasy Pool(s) Commish Drisc when he said "just shut up and pitch" - but today, I find myself seeing Schilling's point in this whole thing. I wonder how many of the Red Sox players are questioning this signing.

In and of itself, the value of the perks given to Matsuzaka don't increase his salary into Schilling's neighbourhood, or Ortiz' or Manny's for that matter - it has to mean something to guys like Papelbon who exploded on the scene last year and was one of the Sox' bright lights, or Roger Clemens who may or may not be considering a blast off in Boston in July.

It seems that no detail was missed in the negotiations to sign Matsuzaka - Sox management will undoubtedly say that it makes good business sense, that they will recoup that money and gain much more; but what are the players saying behind closed doors?

How is Ortiz feeling about giving the team a "hometown discount"?

How is Schilling feeling about being on year long tryout?

What is Roger Clemens' thinking as he sits back and watches this? What is he going to demand from Boston?

What are the guys who were friends with Derek Lowe thinking? The Sox basically cut this guy loose because of "off the field behaviour problems", without making a concerted effort to try and help him? What are his friends on the team thinking?

While the signing undoubtedly makes great business sense for the Sox - I wouldn't dare criticize or question Larry Lucchino's business acumen - I have to wonder what this will do in the clubhouse. Players by nature have big egos, and those egos may come into play of Matsuzaka is anything less that outstanding.

A number of major league scouts have said Dice-K has what it takes to be great - the Boston Red Sox ownership and management better hope he is...if he isn't, it could be the unravelling of the Yankees' main competitor. Matsuzaka may not know this yet...but he well advised to ask for some Hazel Karma this year.

Larry Lucchino has proven himself to be a shrewd business man, and his (former) protege Theo Epstein has proven that its all business when it comes to baseball; relationships with players is purely professional (ask Bronson Arroyo and Johnny Damon) - Terry Francona might have to do his best ever job of managing this year to bridge the gap between management and the players.

That's it for tonight gang - have a great one peeps!

Hazel, I hope things are groovy in your world.

Song of the Night on Hazelspeeps - for Larry Lucchino and Theo Epstein...one of my favourites from 2006


Flawed Design - Stabilo


When I was a young boy
I was honest and I had more self-control
If I was tempted
I would run

Then, when I got older
I began to lie to get exactly what I wanted
When I wanted it
And I wanted it

Now, I'm having trouble differentiating
Between what I want
And what I need -
To make me happy

So instead of thinking I just act
Before I have the chance
To contemplate the
Consequence of action

And I will turn off
And I will shut down
Burying the voices of my conscience hitting ground
And I will turn off
And I will shut down
The chemicals are restless in my head

'Cuz I lie
Not because I want to
But I seem to need to
All the time
Yeah, I lie
And I don't even know it
Maybe this is
All a part of my - Flawed design
And ever since I figured out
That I could control other people
I've had trouble sleeping
With both eyes closed

And if I asked permission
If I make sure it's ok
I promise I won't slip up this time
You can trust me

But never take advice from someone
Who just admitted to being devious
Who just confessed to
Treason

And I would also never ask a question
That I cannot ask myself
For it might
Dirty up your conscience

'Cuz I lie
Not because I want to
But I seem to need to
All the time
Yeah, I lie
And I don't even know it
Maybe this is
All a part of my -

And how can you say those things
Why can't you just believe?
And how can you say those things
And keep a straight face?
And how can you say those things
Why can't you just believe?
And how can you say those things
And keep a straight face?

And I will turn off
And I will shut down
Burying the voices of my conscience hitting ground
And I will turn off
And I will shut down
The chemicals are restless in my head

'Cuz I lie
Not because I want to
But I seem to need to
All the time
Yeah, I lie
And I don't even know it
Maybe this is
All a part of my -

'Cuz I lie
And if I could control it
Maybe I could leave it all behind
Yeah, I lie
And I don't even know it
Maybe this is all a part of my
Flawed design

Peesth Out...Buh Bye!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter