Saturday, September 30, 2006

Lemon Tea, Sugar & Moonshine

Hey Peeps and anyone else checking in. A special "Hey" goes out to Hazel Mae.

I'm going to make my NFL picks against the spread; with the caveat that I've been drinking "Portuguese Lemon Tea" to fight this man cold. If you are Portuguese, you know the drill - slice up a lemon and boil it; add two teaspoons of sugar to the lemon water and a shot (or two) of Portuguese moonshine. If you are reading this from New England or Toronto, you should know all about Aguardente (moonshine), if you are a fellow Lusitano - you've had it...more than once!

Drink the tea down and have a chaser of a good Port wine - not the vintage stuff, that's for special occasions. So, I've had a few mugs of lemon tea and a a couple of Port chasers. It may be the moonshine talking - but I like this week's picks.

16) Jacksonville -2.5 over WASHINGTON. The Jags came off a tough loss to Indianapolis, so you know they will be fired up to take out their frustrations on the Redskins. The Redskins have failed to show that they can score against a good defence, and Jacksonville's is as good as any in the league. The Jags stuff Portis and chase down Brunnell.

15) BUFFALO -1.5 over Minnesota. The Bills defence comes up big and stuffs a very ordinary Vikings offence. The Bills will play field position offence and let their defence set up the scores. Minnesota hasn't shown much this year - and I can't see the Bills going 0-2 at home.

14) CHICAGO -3.5 over Seattle. Shaun Alexander isn't playing, so that means Matt Hasselbeck is in for a long night. Bears defence stuffs the Seahawks offence and put Grossman in good field position all night.

13) ST. LOUIS -5.5 over Detroit. How many times do I have to say it? Detroit is just plain bad. After what Favre did to the Lions, I'll take Bulger over Kitna. St. Louis' offence will have a big day against Detroit.

12) BALTIMORE +2.5 over San Diego. Two evenly matched teams - very good defences, good running game and a decent passing game. The difference is going to be McNair's experience over Rivers; it will be a close game, but Baltimore wins outright.

11) CAROLINA -7.5 over New Orleans. New Orleans had their fun on Monday night - it all ends on Sunday. Julius Peppers is going to be in Drew Brees' face all afternoon. Its time for the Saints to come back down to earth...nice start to the season though.

10) Dallas -9.5 over TENNESSEE. Put the T.O. drama aside; Parcells is going to have Big D ready to play on Sunday. Look for DeMarcus Ware to have a big game of D and Terry Glenn to have a big one on offence. I'd be surprised if Tennessee gets into the end zone.

09) ATLANTA -7.5 over Arizona. After their poor showing on Monday night - look for Atlanta to run the ball at Arizona and wear them down. Atlanta's quick D will be in the backfield every time Warner drops back to pass. Countdown to Matt Leinhart begins on Sunday.

08) Indianapolis -9.5 over NY JETS. The Jets have had a couple of decent games - but they haven't been up against the likes of Indy's offence. I don't think the Jets can score enough points to stay close in this one.

07) San Francisco +6.5 over KANSAS CITY. The 49ers have proven they can put points on the board - Damon Huard hasn't yet proven that. The difference in the game is Larry Johnson - Kansas controls the clock and wins a close one against San Fran. Like I said yesterday, I think Kansas City wins (yes, sucking up to Hazel), I just don't think they'll cover (and Hazel won't care - and she probably won't see this...its the weekend). Oh fine - forgive me Hazel for I have sinned.

06) Green Bay +11.5 over PHILADELPHIA. I've got Philly as my suicide pick in both pools - they'll win, but I just see one of those backdoor covers in what is likely Favre's last Monday night game. Philly's defence hasn't exactly been dominant this year.

05) New England +6.5 over CINCINNATI. Ok, I'm sucking up to Hazel again by picking the Patriots. The Pats are in disarray, but there is no way they should be 6.5 point underdogs; they'll keep this one close.

04) HOUSTON +3.5 over Miami. The more I think about this game - the more I see a Houston win. I'm not trusting Culpepper to win by four on the road - a field goal at most. Houston has some weapons on offence, so they'll keep this one interesting.

03) OAKLAND +2.5 over Cleveland. I'm taking a flyer on this game - I just have thinking Cleveland can win on the road. The Raiders are bad, no question, but they have to win a few games this year.

There you have it gang...I like this week's picks - moonshine, port and all. DJames, if you are checking in...check your mail - there will be a nice surprise there tomorrow. Have a great one peeps...remember, get your picks in!

Hazel, I hope things are groovy in your world - have a great weekend.

Song of the Night on Hazelspeeps -

For the way I've been feeling this week - The Sick Bed Of Cuchulainn - The Pogues

For the way I feel tonight - Whiskey You're The Devil - The Pogues

Peesth Out...Buh Bye!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter