Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Countdown to the NFL

Hey Peeps and anyone else checking in. A special "Hey" goes out to Hazel Mae.

Wednesday entries are usually reserved for a look back at some of the more "notable" newsmakers from the world of sports - if you have been here before you know all about Weird & Whacked Wednesdays. But with the NFL starting up tomorrow night - tonight is all about filling out my pools and finalizing opening week rosters in the fantasy pools...so the Wednesday update will have to wait until tomorrow.

In what could very likely qualify as an entry for Weird & Whacked Wednesdays, I give you my NFL picks for the upcoming week. The straight up picks include negatives for losses - the spreads pool is a straight weighted pool. Two suicide pools too, no spreads.

Suicide Pick - I'm going to play it safe and go New England in both pools...opening week always has some surprises, I was going to go with Arizona - but I want to be sure of surviving into week 2.

Straight Up
16 - New England over Buffalo. Tom Brady vs. J.P. Losman; Bill Belichick vs. Marv Levy; in Foxboro. No further explanation needed.

15 - Arizona over San Francisco. Larry Fitzergerald & Anquan Boldin vs. Antonio Bryant, Edgerrin James vs. Frank Gore, and Kurt Warner vs. Alex Smith...everything points to a blowout in Arizona's opener. It is time for them to live up to some pre-season hype.

14 - Seattle over Detroit. Seattle has thoughts of getting back to the Super Bowl - Detroit has thoughts of replacing Kitna and building for the future. I can't see the Seahawks letting up at all in this one.

13 - Carolina over Atlanta. See explanation for Seattle. This is a statement game for Carolina, even without Steve Smith, they have to show that they are more than just Delhomme to Smith. I don't trust Ron Mexico on the road.

12 - Philadelphia over Houston. I hate the Eagles, but do I trust David Carr to lead the Texans to a win over the Eagles without Dominick Davis? Nope. I think the Eagles defence stuffs Carr and the Texans; and that Chunky soup lovin' mama's boy McNabb does just enough to win this one.

11 - Denver over St. Louis. St. Louis has a new look offence - Denver keeps Plummer on a short leash and trusts the offence to the running game. Denver wears St. Louis down in the second half and wins it.

10 - Tampa Bay over Baltimore. A lot of pressure on Steve McNair in Baltimore - he certainly makes them better, but is it enough to get by one of the best defences in the NFL? I don't think so. In a game of field position, I'll take Tampa's defence to take advantage of a McNair mistake to win this one. Chris Simms "manages" Tampa to a victory.

9 - Chicago over Green Bay. Green Bay has a lot of question marks, and for the first time in a long time the big question mark is over Favre's head. Chicago's defence smothers the Pack, and their running game does enough to get it done.

8 - Miami over Pittsburgh. Charlie Batch is starting and Hines Ward is banged up. I said Charlie Batch is starting. Nick Saban has his team primed for the opener, big game for Culpepper post "Tub Rub". Miami's defence stuffs Pittsburgh's boring offence.

7 - San Diego over Oakland. I'm not buying Oaklands pre-season performances. San Diego is still smarting over their disappointment last year...LaDanian Tomlinson runs all over Oakland. Did I mention that Aaron Brooks is Oakland's QB? Jeff George is waiting for the call.

6 - Cincinnati over Kansas City. Forgive me Hazel for I have sinned. If you read this page last year, you know that I rarely go against K.C. - out of respect for Hazel - but I can't see them stopping Carson Palmer and Chad Johnson.

5 - Dallas over Jacksonville. I can't go against Dallas. Terrell brings a different dimension to the offence. Dallas comes up big against a very tough Jaguars team - I'm hoping.

4 - N.Y. Giants over Indianapolis. I mentioned first week surprises - this is going to be one of them. Little brother beats big brother. Don't ask me why...just know it is killing me that I'm taking the Giants.

3 - Minnesota over Washington. Minnesota looks good with Brad Johnson, Washington looks old and tired with Brunnell and without Portis. I think Johnson plays it safe and squeaks out a win over the Redskins...oh yeah, and I hate the Redskins too.

2 - N.Y. Jets over Tennessee. I know the Jets are going to suck, I know there are all sorts of questions around Pennington. This game is just plain ugly; so I'm taking a flyer on Pennington over Volek.

1 - New Orleans over Cleveland. I've got Brees in a fantasy pool, I've got Reuben Droughans and Jurivicius - Reggie Bush the X factor.

Take them for what they are worth. I've won this pool two years in a row.

Spreads Pool

16 - San Diego -2.5 over OAKLAND. Schottenheimer's team makes a statement and squashes Oakland...even without Steve Foley.

15 - Chicago -3.5 over GREEN BAY. The beginning of the end for Favre - Chicago's defence dictates this game, the running game does enough to cover the spread.

14 - Philadelphia -4.5 over HOUSTON. The Eagles will come out trying to prove that last year was all Terrell's fault - I can't see them letting this one slip away to Houston...not in Week 1.

13 - Miami +1.5 over PITTSBURGH. Did I mention that Charlie Batch was starting? Miami plays field position football and Culpepper wins his first game in Miami. Plus, the Steelers aren't that good...they never were - the stars lined up.

12 - ARIZONA -7.5 over San Francisco. Its time for Arizona to start living up to the hype - plus, I have Fitzgerald and Boldin on my fantasy team.

11 - TAMPA BAY -3.5 over Baltimore. I just have a feeling on this one - I think McNair tries to do too much and gets burned.

10 - Seattle -6.5 over DETROIT. Hasselbeck vs. Kitna, Alexander vs. Jones - good enough for a 10 point win.

9 - NEW ENGLAND -9.5 over Buffalo. Enough said in straight up analysis. Buffalo fans are going to be wishing that Jim Kelly came out of retirement to reunite with Marv Levy.

8 - CAROLINA -5.5 over Atlanta. Keyshawn wants the damn ball - so does Carolina's defence. Peppers will be in Ron Mexico's face all afternoon.

7 - Cincinnati +2.5 over KANSAS CITY. Forgive me Hazel...your boys go 0-1 this week. But the Pats will win.

6 - Denver -3.5 over ST. LOUIS. I like Denver to win, but a late TD by St. Louis to make it close is worrying me. Probably should be rated higher...but here for now.

5 - Dallas +2.5 over JACKSONVILLE. Terrell's opening day party.

4 - Minnesota +4.5 over WASHINGTON. I'm tempted to bump this pick up tomorrow before the deadline...but Minnesota has to show me what they've got first.

3 - N.Y. GIANTS +3.5 over Indianapolis. Just a feeling. Little brother beating big brother makes for good headlines.

2 - N.Y. Jets +3.5 over TENNESSEE. Yuck. Hoping everyone else picks the Titans.

1 - New Orleans +3.5 over Cleveland. Double Yuck. Brees better come up big for me this weekend.

There you have it...these may change by tomorrow night. The straight up picks are locked in. Post your picks if you got em. Have a great one peeps.

Hazel, I hope things are groovy in your world.


Song of the Day on Hazelspeeps - just that kind of night

Soul Meets Body - Death Cab For Cutie

"In my head, there's a Greyhound station
Where I send my thoughts, to far off destinations
So they may have a chance of finding a place
Where they're far more salient than here."

Peesth Out...Buh Bye!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter