Thursday, January 19, 2006

He Has Risen

Hey Peeps, and anyone else checking in. A special "Hey" goes out to Hazel Mae.

Just when you thought things were quiet and relatively sane - a few stories hit the wire that are very worthy of a Wednesday mention...or in this case - an Addendum.


EASTER COMES EARLY TO BOSTON
The Boston Red Sox announced today that their former General Manager Theo "Baseball God" Epstein has rejoined the team - it's like Easter Sunday. Epstein's official title and function have not yet been made public - but I think we all know what "Baseball Operations" means; doesn't it mean operating a baseball team? Doesn't a GM operate a baseball team? Theo as the unofficial GM? I wonder what Hazel would say about this if she could tell us...

I'm not suggesting for one second that I was the only person to say it - but I knew it from Day 1, from hour 1, from the minute Epstein announced he was not going to resign with the Red Sox. I said it right away, he will be back. Any reasonably astute baseball fan knew that he would be back with the Red Sox...he wasn't going anywhere else.

I wonder if he was promised Larry Lucchino's job...somewhere down the road (like in a year or two). I also wonder if this time around, he wanted to avoid the job of GM (officially) because there are questions about the Sox this year, and he wants to see where things end up. For the record, I think he is the Senior GM calling the shots - with all due respect to Boston's current GM tandem. I also think that the first big splash on Theo's return is where the Red Sox announce that they have acquired Miguel Tejada from the Orioles for a package of prospects - that's right. Theo is going to come back big and make a splash - putting together a team for another run at the World Series - because after this year...the Sox may be headed for a couple of relatively lean years (in other words, NOT serious contenders). Theo blows the budget this year and makes a legit run at the World Series with a 3-4-5-6 lineup of Tejada, Ortiz, Ramirez and Varitek. Oh yeah, also for the record - I'm still calling for 2006 to be the year of RAMADA.

I'm sure Hazel is writing her copy on this one.


GET A "GRIFF" ON THINGS
The Boston Dirt Dogs site says that the Sox are reportedly interested in acquiring Reds OF Ken Griffey Jr. (a member of the 2005 roto team - Hazel's Heroes) for recently signed Bronson Arroyo. If this is true...I'm sure Epstein puts a stop to it. If the Sox were going to trade Arroyo (which I'm not convinced) why wouldn't they package him with another prospect for a guy like TEJADA??? Does anyone think that the O's would turn down a good young pitcher or two (Papelbon) to go with Eric Bedard, Daniel Cabrera and Rodrigo Lopez?

I can't see Arroyo going for Griffey...I like Jr., really, but he is injury prone and cursed - Jr. is not the answer to Johnny Damon.


OUNCE OF PREVENTION DOESN'T ADD UP TO POUND OF CURE
The NHL announced the Columbus Blue Jacket Defenceman Bryan Berard has test positive for nandrolene - a banned substance under IOC drug testing. Can you see Dick Pound smiling over this one? What does this all mean? Well, Berard can't participate in next months olympics and is banned from international competition for two years - given that he wasn't on the U.S. Roster for Turin - it amounts to nothing. This test has no impact on his status in the NHL - as the test was done in December...before the NHL drug testing started. Berard said it was from a supplement he took.

The message board on TSN is railing on Berard...with some of the posters being downright nasty. I can't though - after what Berard has overcome to get back in the NHL...he gets a "get out of jail card" from me. I would hope Hazel would think the same thing...I think New England hockey fans give Berard the pass.


THE RETURN OF THE TORONTO TOROS?
Not sure if Hazel is old enough to remember the Toros - this is one of those cases where an age difference of a couple of years is like a lifetime - for those of you who are over 35, and who remember Mark Napier, Vlaclav Nedomansky, Richard Farda and Lou Nistico...Resident hockey" Bullcrapper" (no not Bruce Garrioch) Eklund is reporting that the Penguins could wind up in southern Ontario as a second Toronto team - yeah right. Fans in Winnipeg and Quebec City must be licking their chops at the thought of having Crosby there.


TAKE FIVE?
I don't normally do basketball...but former Raptor Antonio Davis was suspended for five games for rushing into the crowded last night to confront a drunkard he thought was harrassing his wife. For the record, I'm cool with what Davis did...and I don't think he should have been suspended. I like Davis.


I WONDER WHAT RENEE WOULD THINK?
Everybody's favourite cheerleader - former "Pantherette"??? Angela Keathley received six months probation for her bathroom incident a few months back...you know, the sex in the washroom gig. It got me thinking...what would Renee (everybody's favourite "peep") think about this one? Renee...lemme know!

Well, that is about it for tonight...I'm trying NOT to think of the NFL this week.

Have a great one peeps.

Hazel, I hope things are groovy in your world...have a great weekend.

Song of the Night on Hazelspeeps...for the return of Theo Epstein to Boston...for the possibility that Crosby and the Pens could wind up in Toronto (ya right) or Winnipeg...or Quebec...OR MILWAUKEE, TULSA OR SEATTLE...

Jesus of Suburbia - Green Day

Peesth Out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Website Counter
Website Counter